Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

5 Pieces of Advice

In response to an assignment from Deb Morrison's class I'd like to share what I've learned this term at the University of Oregon:

5 PIECES of ADVICE

FIND 3RD SPACE.
I bummed this term from two great sources: Starbucks and Zach Blank. For Starbucks, this is the place that isn't work, and isn't home. It's the place where you can enjoy transition. For Zach Blank, it wasn't the classroom, and it wasn't his bed. It's the place where he could set up shop and think, while being available to his peers. Make it somewhere people can find you, and it won't bother you to be found.

SAVE TIME.
No matter if it's making coffee while you're getting dressed or doing all your school work at school, saving time means multi-tasking to be an effective worker and creating time for yourself.

DON'T WORK TOO HARD OR YOU WILL GET SICK.
There is a limited amount of time in the day and if it's all for work, then none of it is for you. I learned this the hard way, and hopefully I've learned it for good. You need time to rest and refuel in order to be the lean machine that's expected. Set boundaries.

IF YOU WANT TO GO TO BED IN THE NEXT 15 MINUTES DO NOT GO ONLINE FOR ANY REASON.

READ A BOOK.
Instead of going online to check your favorite blog before bed, read a book. I've recently rediscovered my joy of fiction novels. Right now I love to read books where the main character stresses over four different aspects of his/her life in sentences that end with exclamation points. I can laugh at their chaos and trivialize it compared to my own, which makes me feel better. Books high on my priority list are moderately interesting and relatively unrelated to me. Very recreational and relaxing.

3 comments:

Rebecca Hom said...

Ya! Great pieces of advice for all. Thanks for sharing the insights. Typo -though - number 4 - go to beD.

Rebecca Hom said...

Ya gotta read "Gods Behaving Badly"

Ashly Stewart said...

As you can see... it's 4:15 in the morning, and I am glad I read your advice, but wish I took it a little sooner ;)

Great job today! You're totally a zoom kid. I am glad you are all over this blog too- keep it up, it's good stuff!