Pages

Monday, February 9, 2009

BIGOTRY! Response How-To

So, remember the LogObama from November? It looked like this:

Well, crazy as it sounds, I always had this impression that my fellow residents dislike my outward, optimistic support of our new president. In fact, they despised it and hissed behind my back. At this point I should add that I don't really know the other residents, sad, yes, but we mostly keep to ourselves. And I also had no reason to suspect other people of this kind of behavior and I really thought I was just self-conscious of showing such open political support.

BUT!Apparently someone believed that, "No, we can't." He or she replaced my words with silence. Very disappointing. Then the LogObama sat alone, a sad little construction paper logo with no tag line. All I could exclaim: "I KNEW IT!" Unfortunately, this only confirmed my crazy, or the unpleasantness of my neighbors.

But, since this is a simple how-to tutorial. The lesson must go on.

HOW TO DEAL WITH INTIMATE BIGOTS:
Well, you can't just let them get away with their bigotous crime. Sure they want a rise out of you, that much, and their narrow-mindedness, you can count on. So here's the trick. Respond without stepping outside your territory. Go ahead, and call it like it is. Even if you don't have all the supplies, it's important to get your opinion back on top. Out in the open where it counts.


Now, yes, I know this is a strong and potentially offensive message to display on the door of my home, but no less than the thing that created a need for frank talk. Bigotry.

(While this post is based on true events, I do not recommend this type of action for conflict resolution, and the viewpoints expressed on my behalf are hyperbole, intended for comedic effect.)

No comments: