Pages

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Measuring Time

After the thought, i realized that this idea sounded eerily like that song from rent...

For just a vacation, indefinite, I would like to visit a place that does not measure time in days. Or minutes, or hours, or seconds. Has this linear, objectified style progressed us, as the human race? Everything is pressure, because the measurement never changes. The meter keeps ticking away until your life and it's end are only a compilation of seconds. It almost offends me that my life is always being pushed away by a clock.

The primitive ways of telling time were nature based. It was reasonable to measure nomadic habits with the stars or the changing of the seasons, because those are real. But, thanks to the Greeks and Christian Huygen , we now have a constant force of our own to battle those of nature. When we made clocks, that's when people's agendas deviated from nature. Now, no matter how long winter lasts, we will still have daylight "savings" time. I'm not saying that time doesn't exist, because physically, it does. But why "time"? Why these minute increments that are separate but somehow overriding of all other factors in the UNIVERSE?

How about measuring in emotions or progress? We might feel a lot better about ourselves. If time was only quantified by progress then we would be a lot farther then we are now. If time wasted didn't exist, would we waste it?

I have a paper due wednesday, two thursday, and one on friday. There are only 24 hours in a day. So, each hour I spent not writing those papers is an hour lost. And, no matter the value of what i do with that time, consequences are still brewing on the horizon. If we measured time in feelings, I would turn in that paper when I felt ready, not on Thursday. Thursday is not the day that i feel ready, but i am prepared to force myself into believing that it is. Probably it would be better if I turned it in when I felt ready. But when would that be? Who knows! Why does it matter? Because we have to know if I have learned anything. Because I only have a few years to learn what I am supposed to before people stop trying to teach me. However, try as they might, understanding is something that cannot simply be rushed along with the due dates of papers. People take years to learn things, and may never value their college experience, let's say, until they're 60.

Time is a human construct, a cognitive schema that we automatically place experiences into for them to have a meaningful area in our brains. Does anyone actually measure time without time? With experience or growth? If I decided to shape my own reality around such, could I function at all in our modern world?

Speculation aside, I have only 24 hours in each day. I have made a pie chart about what I should be doing with my time in order to better understand what I do with my time. I wonder if two hours (about 8% of the day) spent battling the idea of time will be too much. A waste.

No comments: